This article will teach you how to clean a greasy keyboard.
A how to clean greasy keyboard laptop is a question that has been asked many times. There are many ways to clean a greasy keyboard, but the easiest way is using a can of compressed air.
On March 4, 2021, this page was last updated.
You may notice that your laptop keyboard or an external (wired or wireless) keyboard becomes greasy or oily over time as a result of regular use.
This may cause to annoyances when using the keyboard, as well as issues such as keys not pressing correctly or your keyboard emitting unsanitary feelings in general. As a result, learning how to clean a greasy keyboard is essential in order to keep the peripheral in optimum functioning and sanitary condition.
A laptop keyboard may be cleaned using a Q-tip and a moistened towel soaked in a combination of dish detergent and water. Q-tips and a moistened towel soaked with rubbing alcohol may be used to de-grease an external keyboard. You may also take off the keycaps and rub them with a wet or dry cloth before reinstalling them (for a mechanical keyboard with removable keycaps).
Let’s take a closer look at the procedure and some helpful hints.
What Is the Best Way to Clean a Greasy Keyboard?
Grease and oils on a keyboard is a frequent issue that many people encounter. Whether you use a laptop keyboard or an external one, here’s how to clean and repair it.
Getting Rid of a Sticky Laptop Keyboard
The following is how to clean a greasy laptop keyboard:
What You’ll Need:
- A Bowl
- Dishwashing Detergent
- Cloths made of microfiber
- Alcohol for Rubbing
- Before beginning the cleaning process, turn off the computer and remove it from any power sources. Remove any other connections and gadgets connected to it as well.
- Tilt the laptop upside down while holding it in your hands. Then give it a little shake. This will aid with the removal of any big greasy food particles or other residues that may have been lodged in the keyboard’s nooks and crannies.
- Fill a basin halfway with warm water and add some dish detergent. Mix everything up well.
- Soak a piece of microfiber cloth in the liquid for a few minutes.
- Then, by pushing and rotating, squeeze out the extra liquid. The outcome will be a wet cloth.
- Wipe down the laptop keyboard with the towel, being careful to get into the crevices. Because the detergent combination will remove the oil from the keyboard, it will look clean.
- After you’ve finished cleaning the keyboard, dry it with another towel.
- Additionally, thoroughly wipe the greasy filth that remains between the keys using Q-tips.
- You may use your laptop again after the keyboard has dried fully.
- Finally, sterilize the keyboard with rubbing alcohol by wiping it down with a clean microfiber towel or cotton buds.
Getting Rid of Your Sticky External Keyboard
The following instructions will show you how to clean a greasy external keyboard. To remove the grease that has accumulated on the keyboard, we shall use rubbing alcohol as a solvent.
What You’ll Need:
- Alcohol for Rubbing
- Cloths made of microfiber
- If you’re cleaning a wired keyboard, ensure sure the external keyboard is disconnected first. You should also remove the batteries from a wireless keyboard as a precaution.
- Slowly spin and shake the keyboard while holding it in your hands to naturally remove big particles and other residues.
- Dip a Q-tip into the rubbing alcohol to dampen it. It’s important that the Q-tip isn’t too moist.
- Clean the area surrounding the keyboard keys with it. As you can see, the Q-tip will collect dirt, and you may need more than one Q-tip to thoroughly clean the region around all of the keys.
- Dispose of the Q-tips appropriately after you’ve finished.
- Using rubbing alcohol, dampen a microfiber cloth, ensuring sure it is not too saturated. Otherwise, the alcohol may cause the keys to be damaged.
- Clean the keys and the spaces between them with the moistened cloth.
- Remove the moisture on or around the keys with a second dry microfiber cloth. You’ll notice that the keyboard is cleaner and free of grease and oil remnants than previously.
- When you’re confident there’s no more moisture on the keyboard, replace the batteries (if it’s a wireless one) and plug it back in.
- Restart typing on your clean keyboard.
Removable Keycap Cleaning on a Mechanical Keyboard
If your mechanical keyboard has detachable keycaps, you may use a keycap puller to remove them.
Remove the keycaps first, then take a picture of the keyboard. Gently massage all of the keycaps with a dry microfiber cloth.
You may use a little amount of solvent, such as rubbing alcohol, on the cloth, but don’t use too much or the keycaps and printed letters will be harmed.
Before putting the keycaps on the keyboard, let them dry fully. This is when the picture you took previously will come in handy.
Greasy Keyboards: What Causes Them?
Over time, keyboards may get sticky or oily. There may be a variety of causes for this, and we’ll go through them below.
Natural oils produced by your fingertips create a coating of oil and grease on the keys as you use them. If you have oily skin and use a laptop or an external keyboard, this may be a problem. Because this may harm the peripheral, you should clean it on a regular basis to keep it clear of oils and grease.
Another factor is that individuals often eat while using computers. The oils from the meal are transported to the keyboard through your fingertips, resulting in a buildup of grease and oils on and around the keys. As a result, experts recommend that you should not eat or drink near your computer.
An oil spill on your laptop keyboard or the external keyboard is also a possibility. This may be more harmful, therefore you should turn down your computer and wipe the keyboard as soon as possible.
It’s possible that the oil got beneath the laptop’s keyboard and damaged the internal components. As a result, you may take your computer to a reputable computer repair company to get it cleaned.
Also check out:
We hope that the advice provided here on how to clean a greasy keyboard will assist you in keeping the peripheral in good working order.
Following the procedures outlined above, the keyboard should be clean, glossy, and free of greasy or oily residues.
Take notice that the procedures for laptop keyboards and external keyboards are different. As a result, follow the instructions precisely.
The how to clean laptop keyboard is a question that many people ask. Many methods exist for cleaning keyboards, but the most popular is using compressed air.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I degrease my keyboard?
You can use a mixture of dish soap and water to degrease your keyboard.
How do I clean a greasy laptop?
I am not a cleaning product, but you can use dry paper towels to remove the grime.
How do you clean an oily mechanical keyboard?
You should use a compressed air can to blow out all the dust and debris from the keyboard. Then you should use a damp cloth to wipe down the keyboard, being careful not to press too hard on any of the keys.
- how to remove finger oil from keyboard reddit
- how to clean greasy keyboard macbook pro
- how to clean sticky keyboard
- how to clean keyboard
- how to prevent oily keyboard